Rebeca Greene Photography

Friday, October 24, 2014

The Year of Billy

One year ago today Billy took a well-deserved permanent vacation. After 38 years of early-to-bed and early-to-rise (4:30 a.m.) and a LOT of commuting, it was something that we counted down to. Even though they offered him an early retirement, it seems like we had been counting forever. I would say that there is absolutely no regret.

It took him some getting used to though. He had to deprogram the whole Sunday night anxiety of gearing up for the next week. Now everyday is a weekend.

At first, I would see him each morning before I left for work. That rarely happens any more. He has slowly reverted back to the "night owl" that he was born to be. Late night reading and a glass of brandy is one of his favorite pastimes.

This picture was taken only two days after he retired. Just look at the warm sparkle in his eyes.

Great Eyes!
And even though the celebration wasn't for him, I believe he was partying a little extra that night.

That's Right!
Oh Yeah!
HOLLA!!!
So, "What has changed over the past year?" you ask. A whole lot.

There is more of this.

He has been making his way back through his favorite reads, and enjoying every minute of it.


The Man Loves to Read

There is less of this.

We definitely feel a difference in the automotive department.

No, we have enough gas, thanks!

Out with the old and In with the new.

The old car (4 Runner) was retired shortly after Billy did. He was putting 100 miles a day on it for quite some time. Now the new one (CRV) gets only a fraction of the wear and tear.


His commuting now consists of what he calls his "Errands". Excursions to Total Wine, the book store, the 99 cent store, the bank, Trader Joe's and the like.

A couple of his other favorite things to do is watch sports, the news, The Food Channel and Pawn Stars or Storage Wars. You know, stuff like that. And, of course, he's an excellent napper.

But, he is not the only one that is affected by this retirement.

I had often heard the housewife's lament, "Just wait until he's retired and home all the time - It will drive you crazy." I'm still working, but I can tell that I won't feel that way. I'm thrilled that he is home and happy.

And these are just a few of the perks.

Virtually no ironing.

Seriously, I used to iron almost everyday of my life. Those days are gone. Now it's only an occasional thing. There are almost cobwebs on my iron.

My Old Friend

Almost No Cooking

He cooks almost every night and I don't have to come home after a long day at "the office" and worry about dinner. Thanks, Honey!!! I really do appreciate it.

Yummy Ground Meat and Noodles
Now, if I could just get him to do some of the housework....Yeah, Right!!!


So, in a nutshell, retirement has been a good thing for both of us. Learning how to relax and take it easy. We are both happy campers.

The Happy Couple

But the best part of retirement is the non-grumpiness. To quote a line from Wind and the Willows. "He's a relaxed toad. A happier toad".

I didn't take this next one. His buddy, Mariano, did. But doesn't he look like he's on vacation?

Just Chillin'
Yup, I would say the The Year of Billy has been a good one.




No comments:

Post a Comment