Rebeca Greene Photography

Thursday, December 27, 2012

Until We Meet Again

When this post was forming in my head, it made me laugh and cry at the same time. My buddy, Uncle Pete and I were born on the same day. So when that time rolls around, I always think of him.

Uncle Pete, aka "The Monster",  was a great guy. Not a monster at all. He had earned that moniker in his early days. You know, when the kids were all brats and deserved to get yelled at. He's actually Billy's uncle, so I didn't meet him until we were dating and by then he, and his Italian temper, had mellowed quite nicely. He was quiet and ornery. He was a teaser with a cute sideways little grin that made you think he was up to something. He used to chew on the corner of a pillow or blanket and watch the horse races on TV. I liked him right away.

Sadly, he is no longer with us, and so, today, I'm remembering him and other family members that have left us too soon. I miss each and everyone. They all had different qualities that made them special in their own way.

Just as a disclaimer, most of these pictures are from my photo albums so they are scanned in and not of the best quality.

Uncle Pete

At his son Joseph's wedding

With his devoted wife, Aunt Bevsy

With his new daughter-in-law, Monica. I can hear his voice.

The Monster and his Monsterette
My mother was a great lady. Everyone loved her. She was bubbly and fun...the life of the party. She could get really silly. As a young teenager I remember sometimes being embarrassed by some of her antics. What I wouldn't give to be in her presence again. She lived for her children and her grandchildren. She totally identified with kids. She passed away just before her first great grandchild was born. I always tell Zach how much he would have loved her.

At Disneyland

She loved to wear bright happy colors
Love you, Mommy!! 
The next dynamic duo are Billy's grandparents on his dad's side. Howard and Cleo...quite the spirited pair. They were a couple of salty souls. Full of piss and vinegar!!! I did not take these next pictures, but I really like the expressions on their faces. They look really happy!

Beautiful Smiles

Howard and Cleo
Debbie, Billy's cousin, was much too young when we lost her. She was beautiful and full of life. She was fun, sassy and a little edgy. Fortunately, her daughter and grand-daughter look and act just like her.

At her cousin Marilyn's wedding

Uncle Russ, another quiet one. I liked his sarcastic wit.

Uncle Russ and  Aunt Marilyn
Uncle Everett introduced us to karaoke in his lounge-lizard style. Always chewing on a toothpick and driving some sporty car or a motorcycle.

Uncle Everett and Aunt Lawanna

Aunt Nancy was so sweet and pretty. She worried about everything.

With Billy's sister, Tammy
Grandma Kildow. I always loved going to her house and just hanging out. Laying around the living room or out in the kitchen. Eating, singing or walking to the market.

Billy's in the kitchen with Grandma
Grandma and Grandpa Daly were absolutely the cutest couple. They lived into their 90's

Such a cute couple
My Grandparents, Ray and Anna, lived in Washington. The last time we visited they told us their story and you could see how much in love they still were.

 So Devoted
My Uncle Gene and Aunt Elaine. I didn't get to see them very often, but they were my fondest and closest relatives and I loved them and my cousins. We always picked up right where we left off whenever we got together.

Uncle Gene and Aunt Elaine
My niece's father-in-law, Terry. He was a big part of my life when I was a kid. My dad left and my mom had five unruly kids she needed help with so she called him, an elder in our congregation. Then years later my niece married his son. Funny how things work out.

With his grandson, Linus
This was a bittersweet moment. Thank you for indulging me.


No comments:

Post a Comment