Rebeca Greene Photography

Monday, January 21, 2013

Tinkerbell Kicked My Butt

Yesterday was the Tinkerbell Half Marathon at Disneyland and I foolishly entered it. I'm 52 and out of shape. What was I thinking? It seemed like a good idea at the time. I guess I love a good challenge.

Actually, I did it in support of my niece who had started running and was all excited about it. She wanted to run a marathon. I knew I would never do that, but I thought maybe I could do half. And, if you're going to be motivated to run/walk that far, what better place than The Happiest Place on Earth? I did a 5K there a few years ago and it was quite exciting.

I already had the name for today's post last Wednesday. I was finishing up a grueling training session on my treadmill when I realized that no matter what the outcome of the race, I was going to be beaten up by that little pixie. Part of me wanted another week to train and the rest of me wanted to just get it over with.

My goals for this race were a little different than the Calabasas 10K I did a couple of months ago. I know I can walk 13.1 miles, but this race has time constraints. If you get too far behind, they pick you up. They do have an amusement park to open. You know, money to make. So I can't take my sweet time. I made up my mind that it didn't matter if I finished or not. I, at least, wanted to finish the portion that is in the park which is the most interesting and then up to and past the six or seven mile mark which is over a 10K and then whatever I do after that is just gravy. The rest of the race is running along the streets of Anaheim and then back through the backside of California Adventure. Oh, and did I mention that the race started at 5:00 am, so I had to get there at four o'clock in the morning!!!!

Well, those were my thoughts BEFORE I got there and reviewed my 10K results (in retrospect, I didn't do half bad, for me). Once I entered the Expo, I got caught up in all the excitement and I wanted to finish and not get picked up.

So how did I do, you ask? Well, at least I'm alive to report about it! And let me go on record to say that that was my first and last half marathon. I'm a 10K max girl.

Okay....I did it!!!!!!!

13,065 Runners Entered
Net time 3:09:55 and 4,881 left in my pixie dust
And so the countdown begins...

Tink spreading a little Pixie dust

Picking up my Bib

Mickey at the Expo

Enjoying some Art

Yummy Lunch

Me and My Coach

Line em Up

My Goal
Pasta Dinner
Four A.M.
So Pretty
Just one of the Tink's

Tink and Tank

Great Hair

Pixie Dust was Everywhere!

Lots of Ladies and a couple of Men

Amanda did great too!
She left me at the eight mile mark to do her thing.






Watch me Fly!!!
It's daylight now and we are out on the streets of Anaheim and the Red Hat Brigade are out there cheering us on.

Hey, you're not cheering!
Going Strong
Still Alive at Mile Eleven!
 Back to the Land.

Lots of Signs and Cheering Squads

Second  Time through the Tunnel

There were some great costumes

Mission Accomplished!

Billy checking out the Medal

Winner!
What a great experience!


No comments:

Post a Comment